Adventures in Garbage

Monthly archives for August, 2015

Back to business!

After a hot, humid, and exhausting  lovely week away with the kids volunteering with my old high school, I needed a good 2 day catch up over the weekend. But today we are back in action! Sold a few pieces at the shop over the weekend, and a few more through online classifieds. Things are looking pretty solid!
The owner of the antique mall where my shop is invited me to pick her garage last week and I left with a TRUCK LOAD (literally) of goodies.  One of the most unique items she gave me was this set of legs.

20150816_154948

Evidently it used to be some kind of quilting stand. I immediately saw it as a table base.

So I set to work working out some basic framing.

20150816_160315

Then dismantled a pallet and evened out all the usable wood.new

Then I sanded and stained the top. While that was drying, I remembered that my husband had picked up this set of antique folding chairs for me MONTHS ago. Other than missing the center seat portion, the frame of the chairs was in great shaped. I did a coat of stain and poly then patched them up. They turned out way better than I thought they would!

DSC02803

After drying over night, I had a great rustic table and chairs set!

DSC02806

Oh- and the whole job came in under $15.

Creativity Block

I’m not sure what the “writers block” word equivalent is when it comes to design. But, man oh man did I have it bad when it came to this piece. I spotted this more then a month ago in an alley around the corner from my sister’s house.

20150805_135722

my ideas for it were all over the board: pantry cabinet, toy storage, mini bar, entertainment center- But nothing inspired me enough to actually get started on it. For weeks!

This poor guy sat in my garage watching many pieces come in and go out before he got any attention. I was on the point of just stripping it down for re-usable parts when, upon closer examination, inspiration finally hit me! So I grabbed a hammer and pry bar and got to work.

With shockingly little  effort and no additional damage, I separated the 2 halves.

With shockingly little effort and no additional damage, I separated the 2 halves.

A little more prying and off came the top.

A little more prying and off came the top.

Next I removed the drawer bases to hollow it out.

Next I removed the drawer bases to hollow it out.

Then added a little additional framing to  secure the doors and back.

Then added a little additional framing to secure the doors and back.

Replace the top- now  connected with hinges

Replaced the top- now connected with hinges

Then Prime. Paint. — Perfect.

DSC02799

DSC02797