Adventures in Garbage

Dresser redone

I found this dresser in an alley with the garbage last Monday.

20160113_172248

Having sat through the rain and missing several drawers just means a little extra work.

Thankfully it’s solid wood, so the water damage was minimal and nothing a little sanding wouldn’t fix. But first I had to rethink the structure because of the missing pieces. I caught a break being able to just move the one drawer down since they are the same size.

First I knocked out old drawer supports, leaving the ones I wanted to turn into shelves.

First I knocked out the old drawer supports, leaving the ones where I would want to add shelves.

Next I dropped in some plywood onto the drawer supports and tacked it down.

Next, I removed the hardware and gave everything a good sanding.

Next, I removed the hardware and gave everything a good sanding.

Then stained inside and out. I used PolyShades Antique Walnut - because that's what I had on hand.  :)

Then stained inside and out. I used PolyShades Antique Walnut – because that’s what I had on hand. :)

A little upgrade in hardware.

A little upgrade in hardware.

Last, drop in a couple of baskets to prove its new functionality!

And last, drop in a couple of baskets to prove its new functionality!

Dressers that are missing drawers are a common occurence in the trash game. Much of the time, metal scrappers will take them if they have steel tracks or drawer pulls. But with a little extra time and some reimagining, even just the frame can still be quite useful!

(total reno cost about $6 for hardware and stain – the plywood was free)

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

No Comments Yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>