Adventures in Garbage

Outdoor Rocking Chair

Last week I found the frame of an outdoor rocking chair perched precariously on an overloaded trashcan in an alley.

I'm guessing it used to be cushioned.

I’m guessing it used to be cushioned.

But with a solid wood frame, weathered as it is, I knew it could be salvaged

First I removed all of the old springs and links. And tightened the existing bolts.

First I removed all of the old springs and links. And tightened the existing bolts.

Then I added one 2x4 for secure the frame.

Then I added one 2×4 for secure the frame.

Trusty old pallet wood to the rescue, yet again. My air compressor is out of commission at the moment, so I had to use screws instead of the nail gun. In general, I try not to use screws with pallet wood because it is so likely to split.

Trusty old pallet wood to the rescue, yet again.

My air compressor is out of commission at the moment, so I had to use screws instead of the nail gun. In general, I try not to use screws with pallet wood because it is so likely to split.

I sanded everything down and gave it all a coat of PolyShades.

I sanded everything down and gave it all a coat of PolyShades.

I really liked how the red of the original frame cleaned up when I sanded it, so I didn’t bother changing it

A splash of hospitality and it's all set!

A splash of hospitality and it’s all set!

total cost: about $2 in stain.

Total cost: about $2 in stain.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

No Comments Yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>