I found this dresser in an alley with the garbage last Monday.
Having sat through the rain and missing several drawers just means a little extra work.
Thankfully it’s solid wood, so the water damage was minimal and nothing a little sanding wouldn’t fix. But first I had to rethink the structure because of the missing pieces. I caught a break being able to just move the one drawer down since they are the same size.
First I knocked out the old drawer supports, leaving the ones where I would want to add shelves.
Next I dropped in some plywood onto the drawer supports and tacked it down.
Next, I removed the hardware and gave everything a good sanding.
Then stained inside and out. I used PolyShades Antique Walnut – because that’s what I had on hand. :)
A little upgrade in hardware.
And last, drop in a couple of baskets to prove its new functionality!
Dressers that are missing drawers are a common occurence in the trash game. Much of the time, metal scrappers will take them if they have steel tracks or drawer pulls. But with a little extra time and some reimagining, even just the frame can still be quite useful!
(total reno cost about $6 for hardware and stain – the plywood was free)
One of the pieces I picked up on my trash hunt this week was this mid century dresser.
It looks as though The Scrapper beat me to this one- taking all the drawers with him.
Scrapper may take our drawers, but he can never take — OUR BAZAAR AFFINITY FOR OLD CRAP!
These drawer dimensions are just a little too narrow for good functionality. So my first step is to open it up a little bit. I removed the rails, knocked out the middle shelf (reusing the wood to reinforce to lower shelf).
The outter shell of this dresser is laminate. But, that doesn’t mean it’s a lost cause! With a good primer, it will take paint beautifully.
Here we are after a coat of primer on the outside. And brushed on black on the inside.
Next I’ll tape up the inside and add some color.
I’ve been seeing a lot of design ideas with rich greens and gold accents. So, I thought I’d try it out on this experiment.
And so, after a coat of enamel, we’re done!
From useless to unique for $15.