Adventures in Garbage

Posts tagged radio cabinet

The Latest

Phew! I feel like August just flew by! (except it forgot to take it’s humidity when it left). I have been super busy around here the last few weeks, so pardon my lack of projects and postings.

I moved my shop into a larger space in a prime location at the Antique Mall. Things have been going really well! For the first time I have ZERO finished projects waiting around the house/garage and nothing pending in classified adds. That means items have actually been selling items faster than I can make them! I am feeling very blessed and so encouraged.

Here is a simple piece I cleaned up this week after picking it up off of Rt 74 on Monday.

Definitely in better shape than a lot of the stuff I pick up.

Definitely in better shape than a lot of the stuff I pick up.

And super unique. believe it was an old radio cabinet.

And super unique. I believe it was an old radio cabinet.

Since it was just missing a back and had some blistering from years of sun damage, this upgrade is really straight forward. Discounting dry-time, I finished it in about 90 minutes.

First step was to just clean it. Years and years of that thick dust, and a tiny stash of squirelly walnuts in the lower left corner later and I was feeling even more confident that this would be an easy job.

Plus ripping out the old radio components and the speaker from the drawer.

I ripped out the old radio components and the speaker from the drawer.

I did a very light sanding on the top and then a coat of Polyshades to bring it back to match the tone and shine of the sides.

I did a very light sanding on the top and then a coat of Polyshades to bring it back to match the tone and shine of the sides.

Next I tacked on a new back and dropped in a new shelf.

Next I tacked on a new back and dropped in a new shelf.

That speaker drawer was so awkward with a  hole cut in the bottom and no sides, so I added a craft crate so it can actually hold things.

That speaker drawer was so awkward with a hole cut in the bottom and no sides, so I added a craft crate so it can actually hold things. I totally lucked out that I had one laying around and that it was the PERFECT size. (I don’t do much “pre-planning” if you you haven’t noticed.)

And I moved it into the shop this morning, just in time for the big sale this weekend :)

And I moved it into the shop this morning, just in time for the big sale this weekend :)

Not one of my most drastic upgrades, but I really love classic pieces like this. And when fine wood is salvageable, it’s kind of a shame to spray paint it aqua 😉